Monday, November 26, 2007

Dear Diary or Why I Won't Share My Ice Cream

okay, so, for years my friends have been encouraging me to start a blog. i mean, technically, they have been telling me to stop writing mass emails that nobody cares about and curb my narcissism in a way that would be easier for them to ignore.

regardless, tonight is the night that their dreams come true. yay! yay!

to be honest, i was reading my friend's blog (http://shakeitfool.blogspot.com/) and thought it was hilarious. i wanted to be hilarious, too, so i'm ripping off her blog site, her writing style, and her clever inclusions of pictures like this one:



i want to point out, however, that i did NOT completely rip annie off. for instance, her background is minimal black and mine has some sort of dots. (i may take the dots out, though. i really like her background....) and also, i don't live in san francisco, have friends, or use words larger than two syllables, if i can help it. also, i can't play the piano, but this isn't a damn contest, so quit judging me!

this is the point where everyone should feel sorry for me. that picture up there is actually a picture someone took of me whilst i ran to catch the bus. (i didn't make it.) not only am i the stinky cheese man, but i'm also boring myself. oh, and no one will be my friend because i won't share my ice cream. to be fair, no one in their right mind should want ice cream this time of year. also, this is the best ice cream.

it's very expensive. and i couldn't find it for a couple of weeks, and i panicked because, like the ferret that i am, i like to have a stock pile ready in case of ice cream emergencies. which are many. so, i looked up where to find it, bought forty dollars worth, and now i have extra sitting in my freezer. now, whenever i have house guests over, they think they get to eat it. i have to inform them that this is not the case, and they get snotty about how selfish i am. i don't think this is fair. i would gladly give my life's blood if it could be of use to a loved one (but don't ask me to do so. i spent enough time in haiti that i'm not allowed to give blood for something like two years. buon bagay!), but the ice cream is mine. if you want your own, you can find a retailer near you by clicking here

i'm suddenly reminded of the rainbow fish. remember that little guy? he was really pretty and all of his hideous sea-creature so-called "friends" wanted him to share his scales with them so they could be pretty, too. at first, he was, like, "shit no! what's wrong with you fools?" but then they all stopped playing with him, and he realized that it was better to share and have friends than to be selfish and have none. this story is stupid. in the beginning the rainbow fish looked like this:
isn't he pretty? wouldn't you just give anything to be his friend? now this is what he looks like after he shares his scales:


ew, right? who would want to be friends with THAT?! and you'll notice that he's still alone. why? because his friends took advantage of him, and after they depleted him of his scales, they ditched him because they were then too pretty to be seen with him.

so, basically, i refuse to share my ice cream because i don't want to turn into a terrible drawing by a four-year-old.

and that's why i'm sitting at home. alone.


UPDATE!!!!! by NOT Barret Mindell
I, ANONYMOUS, have broken into Erin's blog (fyi: she uses the same password for everything) so that the world could know the truth about this tyrannical ice cream hoarder! In short, Erin has finished the last of the COMMUNITY ice cream without bartering ANY of her precious Pomegranate Chip. She has amassed the largest, most valuable collection of Ice Cream outside of Haagen Dazs' Reserve! She taunts her guests and teases her roommate with nightly displays of gluttonous delight! But on this night she has gone too far! She has finished the vanilla bean, and left the freezer full of only her "do not touch" pints (and one other "Sharon's" pint but it's old and not very good anyway)! She leaves her brother without- he cries himself to sleep many nights... I imagine. I am not him. I am anonymous.
Do not offer her sympathy! Do not offer her understanding! Instead, direct all your pity to me, her anonymous roommate!
-ANON.

13 comments:

MatthewConley said...

Erin I'm hurt you wont share your ice cream. Oh wait, I did live at your place for free for quite awhile, nevermind it's ok be selfish with your ice cream (I like cookies and cream anyway).

Anonymous said...

Wow...I never thought you would stoop this low...a blog?! How dare you! Actually, I'm just faking indignation. I find your first entry true to Erin form: funny, dry and slightly deranged. Keep up the good work Cookie!

Sean Wade said...

I think something's wrong with my computer - it replaced the word chocolate on the picture of the best ice cream with some sort of fruit. Also, you're not a pisces. Stop trying to be like me.

Unknown said...

Erin, I fully endorse your ice cream non-sharing. Don't you ever let anyone try to take that away from you, girl! (The ice cream or the sugar-hoarding) And I dig the dots (I know you didn't ask); and you're awesome [duh].xo!

Who says that? said...

wow, for someone with 'no friends' (drama queen) you have quite a few comments up here! and yes i'm at work and reading this-whatevs!

Jenny said...

you have found your calling in life! a blog is perfect for you. and i want to try that exotic ice cream. my parents are on a cruise right now (weird, right? first time ever) but when they get back i'm going to have them read every word of this. that's right, parents will be reading this!

Unknown said...

Erin what up? I will be victorious is speed scrabble. I have a rigorous 4 hour a day practice schedule. I have over 20 Q words memorized like Qintar. You are going down!

julie said...

i wasn't going to post anything, just read what others wrote, but then the blog program thing knew who i was and my email address. that's creepy. much like erin's blog. (just so that i mention the thing...)

Bekah said...

I'm feeling inspired to update my blog. p.s. I am one of those crazy people who eats ice cream all year round. But don't worry about sharing...I need my own carton anyway!

Craig-Erin's_dad said...

This is Erin's Dad, and I just want to say how proud I am of her. First of all she's a terrific writer, though I have told her to watch those run on sentences and dangling participles. Second, she really does share most of the time. And in fact I think she should reconsider the ice cream thing because it is $40 worth, and will have freezer burn and go to waste if she just leaves it in the freezer. And if she eats all of it, her triglycerides will go sky high. So to recap Erin is terrific and I'm proud of her. Also she should learn to write better, share more, and not eat so much junk. Love from Erin's Dad.

Jenny said...

No blog post in recorded history has had as much comment action as yours! You have really set a world record. I am especially happy to see your dad's comment. You are indeed a very talented writer and I am proud of you, too. Actually it sounds like something both sweet and random that my dad would write. No wonder you always got along with my Dad... yours is just as weird. :) (Hi Craig)

Erin Elan said...

to be fair, he already ate most of that half gallon of ice cream. AND my sharon's is very good. it's passion fruit.

Jayanna said...

I just want to say how much I love your dad. I LOVE YOUR DAD!